“I have opponents in this race who do not want to change the Constitution. But I believe it’s a lot easier to change the Constitution than it would be to change the word of the living God. And thats what we need to do is amend the Constitution so it’s in God’s standards rather than trying to change God’s standards so it lines up with some contemporary view of how we treat each other and how we treat the family.”
Hello so-called mainstream media? Are you listening? Why is the coverage of this story so sparse on the major networks? Granted, this guy will not likely be elected and granted changing the constitution is very difficult indeed - this is a good example of the reasons for that - but this is an indication of this guy's mindset.
Keith Olberman on MSNBC:
- CBSNews.com: Anybody Up For Matthew 6:1?
- MSNBC: HUCK, THE CONSTITUTION AND 'GOD'S STANDARDS'
- The Huffington Post: Huckabee: Amend Constitution To Be In 'God's Standards'
- Crooks and Liars: Huckabee Wants A “Faith-based” Constitution
- Daily Kos: Huckabee's Stealth Theocracy
- AlterNet: Huckabee Wants to Rewrite Constitution, Says It's Easier to Change Than "Word of Living God"
- NJDC Blog: NJDC CONDEMNS MIKE HUCKABEE FOR SAYING CONSTITUTION SHOULD BE AMMENDED TO REFLECT GOD'S STANDARDS
- The Carpetbagger Report: Huckabee wants the Constitution to match ‘God’s standards’
- NoGodBlog: Anti-American Huckabee wants to Change the Constitution
- God is for Suckers: “We the People of God, in order to form a more perfect theocracy”
- RichardDawkins.net: Huckabee Wants A 'Faith-based' Constitution
- Deep Thoughts: Some might find that statement very troubling
- Stardust: “We the People of God, in order to form a more perfect theocracy”
- Gentoo Forums: Lord save me from your followers...
- LeftWord: Huckabee Wants A Faith-based Constitution
- Think Progress: Huckabee: ‘amend the Constitution’ to ‘God’s standards.
- The Raw Story: Huckabee: Amend Constitution to be in 'God's standards'
- Free Market News Network: Huckabee: Amend Constitution for God
- Perrspective: Huckabee Calls for Faith-Based Constitution
- Hot Air: Huckabee: Let’s amend the Constitution to bring it in line with “God’s standards”
The single greatest threat to church-state separation in America is the movement known as the Religious Right. Organizations and leaders representing this religio-political crusade seek to impose a fundamentalist Christian viewpoint on all Americans through government action.The goal of undermining this foundational principle of our nation poses nothing less than an existential threat to our most basic rights and freedoms, and to the United States of America itself. Does this constitute treason?
--Americans United for Separation of Church and State
The United States of America was founded for the very specific purpose of protecting its citizens at large from the religious leanings of a subset of society. To weaken or eliminate such separation quite literally destroys the very freedoms the United States stands for and the purpose for and meaning of its existence as a nation.